Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Do you remember...


When coming up with an idea for this post I was left with a blank on what to talk about. I tossed around the ideas of talking about cute, viral videos about a kitten or any other animal to talking about using satire in rhetoric or something like that. But I couldn't find the motivation to talk about them. So what do I want to talk about for this blog post? The 90’s(or rather about the nostalgia of the 90’s that college age adults and above seem to have today). I’ll let that sink in a moment….

To start off I want to share this ten minute video that sums up 1999 in the entertainment/ mainstream department. (If you don’t have time to watch it, that’s fine. It’s a fun video to watch. If you do have time, I would suggest watching the videos on the years 1997 and 2002). 


So I’m sure many of you have seen things like this


where today's  adults are comparing what they experienced their childhood to what the kids of today are experiencing in their youth. And this, I think, is really nothing new and is something every generation does with their successors. I mean I know that whenever I see something like the picture above or this website (and even this website), I am always yelling out, “Yeah!” (I literally did this when I found this website) when they point out something that I remember doing as a child. Basically it points out things that today's  children will more than likely never experience. They are things that truly make me, as the title points out, a “kid of the 90’s”. This makes me question though, why even point out these things? I mean yeah they are great to reminisce about and look down on how complicated things are for kids nowadays with their toys and technology. But it’s not their fault adults and the world have changed and they get hooked on the things we as adults wave in front of their face or give them for entertainment or education.

So that is my two cents on the subject of those “when I was a kid” things that I have seen blowing up Facebook and Tumblr in the last year (or more). What I want to know is how do you guys feel about seeing things like the image above where we degrade a kid’s childhood today while glorifying our childhoods or the past. Do you see it that way or another way? What does message does the picture, websites, or videos send to kids that are exposed to these online? What type of discourse do you see it creating?

4 comments:

  1. I think we glorify our childhood, because it was our childhood. We are always going to think our childhood was awesome. Even though I am jealous of some of the things kids now-a-days have, I would never give up the ring pop, nickelodeon, Boy Meets World Days. I think pictures like these don't phase today's generation. I don't look at these pictures as degrading to today's generation. I look at it more as a comparison looking at the differences. I have seen the same sort of thing comparing the 70s to the 90s. I didn't think they were degrading our generation. I actually thought quite the opposite. I realized how awesome our generation was. I guess I do not see any harm in these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's nice to look for nostalgia in things from our childhood, but I don't think there's any reason to degrade other generations in the process. I think that comic comes across as a little elitist and snobby. Regardless, I probably wouldn't change my childhood for anything, like Tierney. Dragon Ball Z, Nintendo, Taco Bell commercials with the little talking dog--it's all gold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It kinda reminds me of the video of the news report we watched when the group over children vs the media presented today. There was the two year old girl who got the iPad for christmas, and we're suppose to accept this as a normal thing for the new generation of children. As Donnelly mentioned, after he saw that video, he felt as if his daughter is behind in the technological world. We're changing, and we need to adapt our children to this change. When I was old enough to comprehend it, I was playing with my older brother with a Super Nintendo. Yes, iPads are much different than Super Mario World, but in relative generational terms, they're almost the same. Yes, kids should be playing house, tag, bike riding, but they shouldn't be alienated from technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think that we glorify our childhoods because they were a simpler time and kids today will probably do that same think 15 or 20 years down the road. The point that you brought up that I thought was really interesting was why? Why are there so many posts like this? So we can feel bad about the fact that we can't do that anymore? Maybe. And what about today's kids. I certainly don't blame them. Ask yourself what you would rather be doing right now playing hop scotch or angry birds?

    ReplyDelete