Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Political Entertainment

We see entertainment everywhere from video games, cell phones, and even television. While watching many forms of media we have found that we relish entertainment so much so that it has consumed our lives. Before I get any deeper please watch this video of Sean Hannity having an argument with a guest on Fox News. This is not a bash on republicans by any means because this style of discourse and media can be found on every television station across the board. The argument really starts around 2:40. You see Hannity and his guest attacking each other. This is a news organization that does a lot of reports on politics. I wonder how this is even constructive. You cannot understand either of these men, let alone why they are arguing... and even then really what they are arguing about. All they do is attack each other. This sort of political entertainment cannot have a positive affect on our nation. I do not know if this is some sort of a diversionary tactic to keep people entertained but i feel as though it is childish. We have no place for two grown adults who are supposed to be debating for the good of the people in this nation.




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8bsIjGcZyI

5 comments:

  1. I think that it's pitiful that this is the discourse and debate we often see in regards to politics. Sure, people may watch it as entertainment, but I don't think they associate this discussion as news - it acts more like the television show they can flip to on a channel like MTV. There is just a lot of arguing about nothing, with no one making an educated point or bringing up evidence to support. Like you said in your post because of the argument you as a viewer lose the focus of what they are even supposedly discussing.

    I find this a waste of time on television, and I think that there are (obviously) much better ways to go about stating your side in politics than harsh attacks and rude banter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you mentioned in your post, this type of "argument" is pretty typical across the entire spectrum of "political" talk-shows. Nothing constructive happens, as no real conversation is taking place. Neither side is willing to budge on his or her respective opinions. Stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this argument is childish, but it is somewhat entertaining. I don't really consider this real political discourse and I am not really sure where you find that on television. Nothing constructive is being said and this type of discourse doesn't really say anything about whatever they are discussing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the arguing between the two men was childish. It really was hard to listen to because all they were doing was throwing "facts" at each other as counter points and then they were name calling. The whole segment totaled to nonsense to me and-personally- not all that entertaining. What I find interesting is that the comments were disabled even though the person who posted the video expressed their opinion on the Hannity guy. I assume the comments would have reflected the video where people would state their opinion and then they would get into an argument with someone else or multiple people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, I think it is primarily done for entertainment but I think it only adds to making this country look like a joke. Plus, if younger kids are seeing this- and thinking "oh I'm debating my opinion" (that's a stretch) they will mimic that. Now, I'm not sure what kid would be watching that but my point is that I think it sets a poor example.

    ReplyDelete