Monday, February 11, 2013

Reflection on video in class.

There was something that I wanted to bring up about the video we watched in class. I was nervous about bringing it up in class. We also didn't really venture into this territory during our discussion. The question I posed to myself is whether or not violence in media has increased rape in our society. In the documentary it states that rape has increased since the introduction of violence in television. I couldn't locate the exact statistics but it was roughly along those lines. I am not sure that this is completely accurate. I personally believe that violence in television has not led to an increase in rape. Instead that rape has grown in correlation with our population levels. I think that today women are more likely to report it. My evidence solely relates back to the culture of the past. I feel that a lot less women reported being raped in the early fifties or before than today. This has a lot to do with women's suffrage and its positive affect it has had on our culture. I also take into account the whole Penn State situation. A lot of people from that generation would have considered sex out of wedlock (in any form) to be shameful. They would have comforted their family member and ask them not to be open about what happened. Many families would have been worried what the community would think. Many grandparents would take their grandchild and raise it as one of their own (Jack Nicholson). Though this is very surface level, I don't like blaming our mistakes as human beings on watching violent programming. Even though I personally don't think that rape rates have increased because of violent programming doesn't mean that rape isn't a problem. I hope that we one day figure out how to lower these rates.


-Johnny Lee Fields

4 comments:

  1. Didn't she say in the video that if you see it, you can be it? I definitely think that violence in media can lead to acts such as rape. I actually wrote the writing comp last year on how humor in commercials offsets violence. For example, someone will throw someone else out the window for eating their burrito(which somehow makes killing someone okay.) I do agree with you that women are more likely to report it today. However, I think we should be more proactive versus reactive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the media does have at least some influence on behavior and certainly on violent behavior, but I think you have a point too. The video seemed to blame the media completely for the rising rape statistics and I don't think that's fair. As you said, I'm sure reporting rapes has become much more common and I also think that as a culture we are becoming more desensitized to acts of violence which may make it easier for people to commit violent acts, I thin the media has a lot to do with that, but it's not everything.

    The section, in general, kind of bothered me. I think that it kind of took away from what I thought was the point of the documentary and it didn't need it. Certainly violence in the media and violence against women relates to the representation of women in the media, but I thought it should have its own documentary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Desensitization of horrible acts of violence and crimes are partial the media to blame. However, not completely. I think rape attacks upon woment (and men) are not the fault of the media. Sure, we see guns, explosions, kong-fu movies quite a bit. Usually, those appeal to the people who want to see masculine figures, or girls preforming masculine actions. Sometimes we turn to the person next to us and say, "I wish I could shoot guns and preform matial arts to be a hero." However, when we see acts of rape in the media, it is hardly ever a good thing. We never see a movie that features rape and say to the person next to us, "I wanna be like that rapist"

    So yeah, I guess media is to blame for /some/ violence. however, probably not rape. All in all, it's up to the person to watch a movie and distinguish 'acting' from 'real life'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the media, as has been said, very much desensitizes us to violent acts and different crimes. There are shows and movies out there like Dexter where the protagonist is a serial killer (though I have heard it is a great show, it has the audience rooting for a killer). We are exposed to so much of it (and in commercials too, as Tierney noted) that it can be somewhat underwhelming when it is actually happening in the real world, which is not good.

    However, as far as rape goes, I would agree with Ben in that when rape is depicted on-screen, it is just about always painted as a terrible and horrible act. I can see how someone might get the idea for it from the media, but I don't know if it would really be a direct factor.

    ReplyDelete